Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Welfare Stew

Have you been to the store lately? I think I have found the best new diet craze out there…it’s the “can’t afford food” diet craze!



We give glory to God as He has blessed us and allowed our pantry’s to always remain stocked. But I am saddened by those whom are employed or unemployed and just barely making it by.


Yep, I was sticker shocked that most generic brands I purchase have gone up almost 50% sense December. It looks like the days ahead will be filled with fewer trips to the movies and more time playing on the swing set for kids.


With that being said I thought it would be a perfect time to share an old family favorite. Though I’m not sure where it originated from. I can remember eating this as a child and still enjoy it today. I found it fitting to share, with the ever fast rising cost of food.

Welfare Stew

1 pound ground beef {a little fat is good but use whatever is on sale}
6-7 large potatoes peeled and diced. {add more or less depending on how many mouths you need to feed}
2 cans beef stock
1 small yellow onion, diced
Onion powder, salt, pepper to taste.


Brown beef in skillet with onion until well done. Toss in diced potatoes and cover with enough beef stock to just skim the top of your mixture. Season with onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil cover and reduce to med-high until potatoes have cooked. About 25 minutes or so. Sometimes we will top this with a little cheddar cheese too.


Not the most visual appetizing meal but delish, hearty and filling.

Linking up at these great blogs today...stop by for some great recipes... Tempt My Tummy - Tuesday at The Table- Tasty Tuesday - Paisley Passions



* Don't forget to enter Monday's Birthday Banner giveaway!*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...